Household Arts Contest - a Big part of Fall Festival
Several individuals have inquired about the 2012 Household Arts Contest (not to be confused with the Arts & Crafts Show!) Now is the time to begin gathering up or working on your entries. There is an age division for everyone, and numerous entry categories in which items can be entered. Following is a list of guidelines:
- 1) Participants must be Hopkins County residents (due to limited space).
- 2) Participants may enter as many divisions as desired. However, they may only enter one item in a particular class.
- 3) Entry fee is $1.00 total, regardless of the number of entries.
- 4) Registration will be held Thursday, September 13, from 4:30-6:00 p.m., and Friday, September 14, from 7:30-10:00 a.m., at the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center. Entries may also be registered at the Texas AgriLife Extension Office, 1200-B W. Houston, Sulphur Springs, prior to September 13.
- 5) Age divisions are: Children (age 10 & under); youth (ages 11-18); adults (ages 19-69), Older Texan (70 & above); and nursing home residents
- 6) Entries will be judged beginning at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, September 14. Each entry will receive a ribbon. Best of Show and Reserve Best of Show will be selected from the blue ribbon winners in each age division and category.
- 7) Items will be on display Friday, September 14, from approximately 2:00-5:00 p.m. and Saturday, September 15 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Check-out time is 2:00 p.m. All items that are not picked up by 3:00 p.m. will be taken to the Extension Office.
- 8) Pictures of Best of Show and Reserve Best of Show winners will be made at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 15 in the High School Conference Center.
Numerous entry categories are offered to provide a wide variety of entries. I won't list each sub-class, but below is a list of the categories and classes:
- I. Clothing: classic, after-five, sportswear, children's wear, specialty, wearable art
- II. Food Preservation: vegetables, fruits, jams, preserves/conserves, fruit butters, jellies, pickles, relish, pickled vegetables, dehydrated foods, miscellaneous
- III. Bake Show: breads, cakes, pies, cookies, candy
- IV. Decorated Cakes (will not be cut - judged on appearance only)
- V. Handiwork: knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint, sewn items (except clothing), other fabric/fiber work
- VI. Holiday / Seasonal: Christmas decorations, other holiday decorations, tablecloth, wreath/door hanging, nativity scene
- VII. Creative Arts: crafts, ceramics, stained glass, painted household accessories, miscellaneous
- VIII. Art: oil, water color, pen & ink, rub-outs, pencil, acrylic, paper tole, crayon, miscellaneous
- IX. Scrapbooks
- X. Photography: portrait, scenic, still life, animals, people, special effects, floral, architectural, grouping
- XI. Quilts: hand quilted, machine quilted, combination, baby quilts, quilted items (pillows, wall hangings, etc.)
- XII. Dolls: cloth dolls, open category, doll costumes
- XIII. Horticulture: agriculture, cut flowers, potted plants, hanging baskets, succulents/cactus, dried, gourds
- XIV. Woodworking: kits, inlaid wood, mosaic wood art, furniture, wall hangings/crosses, wood carving, yard art, rustic art, birdhouses, miscellaneous
- XV. Nursing Home Division
For a detailed list, go to http://hopkins.agrilife.org and click on publications. Last year, we had over 300 entries, and we look forward to another successful year! Next week: 4-H Project Show information.
Twogether in Texas Reminder
We are gearing up for the next Twogether in Texas marriage education workshop, scheduled for Saturday, August 18, beginning at 8:30 a.m., at the Hopkins County office of Texas AgriLife Extension Service. There are several benefits for engaged couples. First of all, there is no charge - the workshop is absolutely free! Second, couples will receive excellent information in a fun way for building a healthy marriage. Third, upon completion of the workshop, couples will receive a certificate to save $60 upon applying for a marriage license at the County Clerk's office.
Call my office at 903-885-3443 to sign up.
Your family and your love must be cultivated like a garden. Time, effort, and imagination must be summoned constantly to keep any relationship flourishing and growing - Jim Rohn
Johanna Hicks, B.S., M.Ed.
Extension Family & Consumer Sciences Agent
1200-B W. Houston
P.O. Box 518
Sulphur Springs, TX 75483
903-885-3443 - phone
903-439-4909 - fax