Local historian, John Sellers, welcomes the first group to attend his History Walk, at 9:00 a.m.
on Saturday, on the downtown square.
History By Foot Explores
Downtown Area of Sulphur Springs, Saturday
by: Bobby McDonald
Sellers goes over a list of the buildings that were on the downtown square, in the
1914 photos he had on display.
It was a "historic" morning in Sulphur Springs, on Saturday as overcast skies and pleasant temperatures allowed those participating in John Sellers' fourth History Walk, the opportunity to learn more about the downtown area. Sellers began his presentation on the downtown square and proceeded to Church Street, came back around the square and headed out Gilmer Street, then proceeded to Tomlinson Street, and made the final walk up Main Street, to the point of origin.
Sellers told the group how the beginnings of Sulphur Springs were on Main Street, but the downtown square was "blocked-off" into lots and the original Hopkins County Courthouse burned and the present courthouse was built in 1894-95. He pointed out a number of features on the historic Hopkins County Courthouse and then took the group to the corner of Church and Jefferson, where he told that the "Chapman Building" was one of the oldest on the square. He went inside the adjoining building and showed them a sign painted on the wall, that was a "Junius Brutus Cigar" ad. He explained how that dated the building and gave some clues as to when the other buildings in the area were built.
Next, Sellers explained that the "Corner Drug" building, at the corner of Connally Street and the square is another of the oldest buildings on the downtown square. He told of many of the businesses that had occupied the building and some of the interesting things that had happened.
Sellers then took the group down the West side of the square and on out Gilmer Street. The group then explored Tomlinson Street, and then made their way up Main Street, talking about historically significant buildings.
Enjoy these photos from Saturday's History Walk: