Fire at Temples Welding Extinguished
by: Bobby McDonald
A fire at the landmark Temples Welding and Trailer Sales, just south of the city limits of Sulphur Springs, on Hwy 154, was reported on Wednesday night at approximately 8:45 p.m., when a neighbor and local veterinarian, Dr. David Black, passed by the structure and noticed smoke coming from the south end of the building. Black called the fire department and the Hopkins County Units, as well as a number of volunteer firemen, responded to the scene.
According to firemen on the scene and to owner, Judy Temples, the fire was mostly contained to the south end of the building, in an area where "frames" for trailer are constructed. Workers had left the premises at approximately 6:00 p.m., and preliminary assessments are that a welder had overheated and ignited a stack of wood next to it in the building, causing the fire.
Smoke and water damage was reported throughout the building, but the investigation and assessment of damages would continue on Thursday morning, once daylight was obtained.
"We just want to thank everyone for coming and helping," expressed a grateful Judy Temples and members of her family. "I was at the hospital visiting a friend and was notified and a staff member got me here, as quickly as she could, and when I arrived friends, family, and supporters were already waiting. And, we want to thank Dr. Black, a friend and neighbor for calling in the alarm! It's great to live in a community, where we're all family and take care of each other!"
Temples Welding and Trailer Sales has been a part of the Sulphur Springs community for over 40 years.